Fortune 500 IT company saved US$2M in energy costs across its APAC portfolio
JLL designed an innovative sustainability programme to help the global giant achieve its ambitious target of millions in annual cost savings while accelerating their path to reduce carbon footprint.
10% reduction in carbon footprint
Over $2 million in energy cost savings
6 million s.f. of manufacturing, R&D, and office spaces
The client – a Fortune 500 global IT organisation – onboarded JLL to deliver a range of real estate services spanning multiple facilities in Asia Pacific and across a 21 million square feet global portfolio, comprising manufacturing, R&D, and office spaces.
The client needed to optimise costs across all operations, including energy and sustainability. They knew that relying solely on low- or no-cost energy conservation measures wouldn’t work in the long run.
To sustain aggressive energy cost savings year on year, they needed an innovative, technology-driven approach while having the assurance that the solutions were adequately vetted and could be implemented with minimal risk. Furthermore, the Corporate Real Estate leadership was under increased pressure to allocate capital towards energy and sustainability initiatives.
As the client accelerated their investments in energy efficiency projects, a new challenge emerged: they learnt that traditional contractors did not typically have the specialised expertise needed to budget for and execute energy projects. Their project management teams needed support from energy and sustainability subject matter experts, especially as they juggled a mounting load of increasingly complex energy projects.
Through our Sustainable Operations programme, our client saw significant benefits in accelerating change and performance to achieve their Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) and cost optimisation goals, and ultimately becoming self-sustainable, while taking a step towards reducing their carbon footprint.
Specifically, we helped the client to:
- Manage utility bill data across their entire portfolio (over 170 sites) using JLL’s proprietary portfolio
- Supply the latest and most accurate data for the environment section of the client’s
annual Corporate Sustainability Report
- Conduct energy audits to identify potential no-cost, low-cost and capital energy conservation
- Execute select energy conservation measures, in partnership with JLL facilities and project
- Align their teams’ performance incentives with the client’s energy and cost optimisation goals
- Evaluate and implement innovative energy-saving technology, like JLL’s continuous
commissioning platform, which integrates seamlessly with JLL’s Corrigo maintenance platform
We supplemented the Sustainable Operations programme with our proprietary portfolio environmental and energy reporting technology – the Project Management Office (PMO) solution, which helped to:
- Ensure energy capital projects are appropriately and efficiently scoped, budgeted for, and executed
by contractors with energy and sustainability expertise
- Facilitate a speedy execution and smooth handoff between the energy and project management teams
- Troubleshoot issues with equipment installations during buildout phase proactively
To achieve the client’s energy and sustainability goals, we utilised an integrated real estate services delivery model, bringing together all services across facilities, projects, and portfolio management into a centralised structure. This high-level collaboration facilitated the timely execution of the project and a smooth handover.
- Achieved upwards of $1.15 million in utilities cost savings to meet their global target for energy and
- Delivered $1 million in savings by implementing over 100 energy conservation projects, which
included low- and no-cost energy conservation measures
- 10% reduction in carbon footprint from operations (3,000 metric tonnes), equivalent to saving 400